Key position to provide academic leadership, direction and management of Veterinary Sciences at JCU
- Be at the forefront of veterinary sciences in the Tropics
- Work with enthusiastic, committed and talented staff
- Great opportunity to live and work in Tropical North Queensland
About the Position
Veterinary Sciences at JCU has earned a strong reputation for the integrity of its courses and the quality of its graduates. We now have an exciting opportunity for a Head (Professor), Vet Sciences to lead our world class School of Veterinary Sciences
In conjunction with the College Dean, Associate Deans and the Manager, College Operations, you will play a key role in providing academic leadership, direction and management of the College’s learning and teaching, research and engagement activities.
You will also:
- Provide leadership in accreditation processes and engagement with relevant peak bodies;
- Contribute to the development of high quality, innovative curricula consistent with the University’s Strategic Intent and Grand Challenges framework;
- Provide intellectual leadership through the promotion and support of research and ensure robust research outcomes and high quality research education for the academic group.
As an accomplished professional in your field and a natural leader you will strengthen the Discipline of Veterinary Sciences by leading innovation and quality improvement in learning, teaching and research.
You will also:
- Have a PhD in Veterinary Sciences or a related field;
- Provide motivational leadership to staff, especially those in the early stages of their career
- Have a demonstrated record of involvement with staff management, supervision and the ability to advise staff on strategies to resolve issues at College level;
- Have the ability to identify, grow and manage external relationships and communications with professional bodies, potential students and other stakeholders such as industry or government agencies.
Not only will you be a senior member of academic staff, but you will also get the opportunity to teach and actively research in a discipline within the Group.
Why Vet Sciences
The School of Veterinary Sciences is committed to the themes of "The Tropics" and "One Health" outcomes through outstanding education, excellent research and effective engagement with key stakeholders. We are immensely proud of our facilities, staff, students, graduates and unique location with modern, well-equipped facilities:
- Teaching and research laboratories for anatomy and biomedical sciences with tissue culture suites
- Histology processing and microscopy
- A radioisotope suite and PC2/PC3
- Clinical pathology and post-mortem suites
- 80 hectares of livestock paddocks
- Large and small animal housing, including aquatic animals
- Emergency Centre & Hospital with operating theatres and radiology facilities
- Fully accredited courses
- Enthusiastic, committed and talented staff
JCU offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth as well as diverse career opportunities. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
- generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- five weeks annual recreation leave
- flexible working arrangements
- attractive options for salary packaging
- Level of appointment and commencing salary will be in accordance with qualifications and experience.
- Relocation and visa assistance provided
How to apply
If you are an established professional looking to influence the veterinarians of the future, please apply today at https://www.jcu.edu.au/careers-at-jcu
Vacancy reference: 16261
Applications close: 14 February 2018